Thursday, December 27, 2012

Sewing!

 I haven't posted any artsy things lately because.... well, I haven't been painting. However, I have been getting my creative juices going in other ways with.... sewing! My mom's always been a great sewer, and made a lot of my clothes growing up. I started to get into it when I was a kid, and even attended some of her quilting meetings with her (wow, I was a dork). Then in early high school I decided to make a cute summer dress, and I did... with a lot of tears and frustration along the way. After that I gave up on sewing for a long time. But I found a tutorial for the "Infinity Dress" a few years ago and have been meaning to make one ever since. The Infinity Dress is a circle skirt with a waistband and two very long straps that you can use for INFINITE ways to style (what a clever name). Here I've just shown one way to wear it, but you can find tons of YouTube videos and pictures of how to wrap your dress.
 I wore this one to a friend's wedding and got a lot of compliments. The clearest and most concise tutorial for it I've found yet is here on the blog Sew Like My Mom. The above dress was made on polyester type of fabric that stretches and hangs really nicely. That type of fabric is ideal. I made a second version out of jersey knit (below). It is nice because it's more casual, but unlike the former, it does wrinkle.



As you can see, my cat was super helpful during the sewing process. Guess he saw me working on the floor as an opportunity to cuddle.

And here, he was kind enough to hold down my pattern for me.....

I'll be posting more projects as I photograph them!

No comments:

Post a Comment